The Committee monitors, investigates and reports on road safety in New South Wales.
As part of its role, the Committee looks at ways to reduce deaths and injuries, as well as the social and economic costs to the community of road accidents.
Resolution passed 18 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Votes and Proceedings No.10, Item 13.
Legislative Assembly Votes and Proceedings No 10, Tuesday 18 June 2019, entry No 13:
13 PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEES
Mr Andrew Constance moved, by leave, That the following motions for the establishment of Parliamentary committees and the appointment of members be agreed to:
(8) Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety
A Joint Standing Committee (to be known as the Staysafe Committee) be appointed to inquire into and report on road safety in New South Wales with the following terms of reference:
1) As an ongoing task, the Committee is to—
a) Monitor, investigate and report on the road safety situation in New South Wales; and
b) Review and report on countermeasures aimed at reducing deaths, injuries, and the social and economic costs to the community arising from road accidents.
2) The Committee consist of six members of the Legislative Assembly and three members of the Legislative Council and that, notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders of either House, at any meeting of the committee, any four members shall constitute a quorum provided that the committee shall meet as a joint committee at all times.
3) Mr Stephen Bromhead, Mr Roy Butler, Mr Christopher Gulaptis, Mr Nick Lalich, Ms Robyn Preston, and Ms Gabrielle Upton be appointed to serve on such committee as the members of the Legislative Assembly.
4) The Committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other States and Territories of Australia.
5) A message be sent acquainting the Legislative Council of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Council to appoint three of its members to serve with the members of the Legislative Assembly upon the Committee, and to fix a time and place for the first meeting.
Resolution passed 19 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Minutes No. 10, Items 11 and 18.
Legislative Council Minutes No 10, Wednesday 19 June 2019, entries No 11 and 18:
11 JOINT COMMITTEES—MEMBERSHIP
Mr Harwin then moved:
(6) Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety
1. That this House agrees to the resolution in the Legislative Assembly’s message of Tuesday 18 June 2019 relating to the appointment of a Joint Standing Committee to inquire into and report on road safety in New South Wales.
2. That the representatives of the Legislative Council on the Joint Standing Committee be Mr Lou Amato and Mr Daniel Mookhey.
3. That on the crossbench membership to be appointed to serve on the committee being determined, a message be forwarded to the Legislative Assembly.
4. That the time and place for the first meeting be advised once it has been determined.
18 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP—CROSSBENCH MEMBERS
The Deputy President informed the House that the Clerk had received from crossbench members the following nominations for membership of committees:
Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety (StaySafe) Crossbench: Revd Mr Nile.