In December 2002, the STAYSAFE Committee agreed to a series of recommendations
to improve safety around railway level crossings for the consideration of the
then Minister for Roads and Minister for Transprt, the Hon. Carl Scully MP.
These recommendations were forwarded to the Minister in January 2003, prior to
the prorogation and later dissolution of Parliament for the general State
election in New South Wales in March 2003.
Following the reformation of the STAYSAFE Committee after the election, the
inquiry was recommenced in May 2003. The Government was asked for a response
to the recommendations made by the previous Committee. The Government's
response was coordinated by the Level Crossings Strategy Council, a high level
inter-Departmental committee, and was received in April 2004.
The STAYSAFE Committee held a public hearing in May 2004, and is drafting its
final report currently.
That the Committee conduct an inquiry into the safety of railway level
crossings in New South Wales, with the terms of reference to provide for a
· the status of railway level crossings in New South Wales
· factors contributing to crashes at railway level crossings
· countermeasures which may increase the safety of railway level crossings
· motorist behaviour and education regarding the use of railway level crossings
· and any other related matters