Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Virtual Tour

Virtual Tour

Get a unique perspective of the NSW Parliament with our online 360° panoramic tour of the building. 

Legislative Council​

 


The Legislative Council Chamber was first used in 1856 for the opening of Australia’s first bicameral Parliament. In order for the Chamber to be completed in time, a prefabricated iron hall sitting on the docks in Melbourne was purchased in 1855 for £1,835, shipped to Sydney and erected in its current location. It has housed the Legislative Council ever since. The Chamber is predominately red in colour because this is the traditional colour of upper houses in Westminster parliaments. More information can be found at The history of the Chamber.

Legislative Assembly

 


The Legislative Assembly Chamber is Australia’s oldest legislative chamber. Designed by the Colonial Architect, Mortimer Lewis, it was constructed in 1843 and was initially used as the meeting place of the Legislative Council. Since the establishment of responsible government and a bicameral Parliament in 1856, this room has housed the Legislative Assembly. The chamber is predominately green in colour because this is the traditional colour of lower houses in Westminster parliaments. More information can be found at History of the Chamber.


Macquarie Room​

 

The Macquarie Room is the newest meeting room at Parliament, redesigned in 2010 and first used in 2011. It is used, along with the Jubilee Room, as a place to hold parliamentary committee hearings and other functions. The room, including the configuration of the committee tables and microphones, was designed for the specific purpose of use by parliamentary committees.


Jubilee Room

 


The Jubilee Room was commissioned to be used as the Parliamentary Library in 1905 and was designed by the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon. The room is currently used for parliamentary committee hearings and other functions. The room was named ‘Jubilee’ to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the granting of responsible government in New South Wales. Architecturally, the Jubilee Room is a version of the classic Edwardian reading room, with collections shelved from floor to ceiling. More information can be found on this Parliamentary Library and the Jubilee Room fact sheet.


Fountain Court

 


The Fountain Court was constructed during the major refurbishment of Parliament House in the late 1970s to early 1980s. It features a central water sculpture by the Australian architect, Robert Woodward AM. The surrounding walls of the Fountain Court are used to display temporary exhibitions of artworks. Of particular note is the western wall, known as the “Reconciliation Wall”, which is a dedicated area for the exhibition of artworks by Aboriginal artists.


Parkes Room

 


This room is named after Sir Henry Parkes, who is commonly referred to as the ‘Father of Federation’ for his role in advocating for a Federal Council of the colonies of Australia. The Parkes Room is currently used as a meeting room. More information can be found on this Heritage Buildings of Parliament House fact sheet.


Strangers Dining Room

 


The Strangers’ Dining Room is the main dining venue at Parliament House. The room was originally designed for members to meet with their guests during sittings of parliament. These visitors were referred to as ‘strangers’. The room has panoramic views of the Domain and can be used for functions. Further information can be found at the Parliamentary catering website.


Rooftop Garden

 

The rooftop garden is an area above the central heritage section of Parliament House that is used for outdoor functions.