The Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission is a current statutory committee of the NSW Parliament, established 18 June 2019. It reviews and reports on the Health Care Complaints Commission’s (HCCC) performance and its annual and other reports. The Committee can also report on changes needed to the HCCC’s functions, structures and processes. In addition, the Committee monitors and reviews the Health Conciliation Registry’s exercise of its functions.
The Committee cannot investigate or reconsider the HCCC’s decisions or recommendations about specific complaints or investigations.
The Committee's functions are at Part 4 of the Health Care Complaints Act 1993.
Resolution passed by the Legislative Assembly, 18 June 2019, Votes and Proceedings No 10, Item 13.
Resolution passed by the Legislative Council, 19 June 2019, Minutes No 10, Items 11 and 18.
EXTRACT FROM LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY VOTES AND PROCEEDINGS NO 10, TUESDAY 18 JUNE 2019
13 PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEES
Mr Andrew Constance moved, by leave, That the following motions for the establishment of Parliamentary committees and the appointment of members be agreed to:
(3) Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission
(1) In accordance with section 67 of the Health Care Complaints Act 1993, the following members of the Legislative Assembly be appointed to serve on the Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission: Dr Joe McGirr, Mr Gurmesh Singh, Ms Kate Washington, and Mrs Leslie Williams.
(2) The Committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other states and territories of Australia.
(3) A message be sent acquainting the Legislative Council of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Council to appoint three of its members to serve on the Committee.
EXTRACT FROM LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL MINUTES NO 10, WEDNESDAY 19 JUNE 2019
11 JOINT COMMITTEES—MEMBERSHIP
Mr Harwin then moved:
(2) Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission
1. That under section 64 of the Health Care Complaints Act 1993, a joint committee known as the Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission be appointed.
2. That under section 67(1)(a) of the Act, Mr Lou Amato and Mr Walt Secord be appointed to serve on the committee as members of the Legislative Council.
3. That on the crossbench membership to be appointed to serve on the committee being determined, a message be forwarded to the Legislative Assembly.
18 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP—CROSSBENCH MEMBERS
The Deputy President informed the House that the Clerk had received from crossbench members the following nominations for membership of committees:
Committee on the Health Care Complaints Commission
Crossbench: Mr Pearson.