Committees of the 56th Parliament (2015 - 2019) have ended. Committees of the next Parliament will be appointed by the Houses in due course.
The Committee reviews the performance of the Advocate for Children and Young People and can also examine trends and changes in services and issues affecting children, and report on any changes needed to the functions and procedures of the Advocate.
The Committee has been established to oversight the Advocate, rather than having more general responsibilities in relation to children and young people.
The Committee also monitors and reviews the administration of the Working With Children Check and related functions by the Children’s Guardian.
The Committee does not have the power to investigate particular conduct.
The Committee's functions can be found in Part 7 of the Advocate for Children and Young People Act 2014.
Resolution passed by the Legislative Assembly, 28 May 2015, Votes and Proceedings No 9, Item 2.
Resolution passed by the Legislative Council, 2 June 2015, Minutes No. 9, Item 13.
Mr Anthony Roberts moved, by leave, that the following motions for the establishment of Parliamentary committees and the appointment of members be agreed to:
(2) Legislative Assembly Committee on Children and Young People
(1) In accordance with section 38 of the Advocate for Children and Young People Act 2014 the following members of the Legislative Assembly be appointed to serve on the Committee on Children and Young People: Ms Melanie Gibbons, Ms Jodie Harrison, Mr Michael Johnsen, and Mr Damien Tudehope.
(2) The Committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other states and territories of Australia.
(3) A message be sent acquainting the Legislative Council of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Council to appoint three of its members to serve on the Committee.
On the order of the day for consideration of the Legislative Assembly’s messages of Thursday 28 May 2015 being read, Mr Gay moved:
(1) Committee on Children and Young People