The Committee was established to oversight the Advocate for Children and Young People, rather than having general responsibilities in relation to children and young people.
The Committee reviews the Advocate's performance and can report on any changes needed to its functions and processes.
The Committee also monitors and reviews the Children’s Guardian's administration of the Working With Children Check.
The Committee can look at trends and changes in services and issues affecting children, but cannot investigate particular conduct.
The Committee's functions are at Part 7 of the Advocate for Children and Young People Act 2014.
Resolution passed 18 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Votes and Proceedings No.10, Item 13.
Legislative Assembly Votes and Proceedings No 10, Tuesday 18 June 2019, entry No 13:
13 PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEES
Mr Andrew Constance moved, by leave, That the following motions for the establishment of Parliamentary committees and the appointment of members be agreed to:
(2) Committee on Children and Young People
(1) In accordance with section 38 of the Advocate for Children and Young People Act 2014 the following members of the Legislative Assembly be appointed to serve on the Committee on Children and Young People: Ms Jodie Harrison, Ms Robyn Preston, Mr Dugald Saunders, and Ms Felicity Wilson.
(2) The Committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other states and territories of Australia.
(3) A message be sent acquainting the Legislative Council of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Council to appoint three of its members to serve on the Committee.
Resolution passed 19 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Minutes No. 10, Items 11 and 18.
Legislative Council Minutes No 10, Wednesday 19 June 2019, entries No 11 and 18:
11 JOINT COMMITTEES—MEMBERSHIP
Mr Harwin then moved:
(1) Committee on Children and Young People
1. That under section 36 of the Advocate for Children and Young People Act 2014, a joint committee known as the Committee on Children and Young People be appointed.
2. That under section 38 of the Act, Mr Matthew Mason-Cox and Mr Greg Donnelly be appointed to serve on the committee as members of the Legislative Council.
3. That on the crossbench membership to be appointed to serve on the committee being determined, a message be forwarded to the Legislative Assembly.
18 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP—CROSSBENCH MEMBERS
The Deputy President informed the House that the Clerk had received from crossbench members the following nominations for membership of committees:
Committee on Children and Young People Crossbench: Ms Boyd.
Resolution passed 16 June 2020, 57th Parliament, Votes and Proceedings No.54, Entry 13.
13 COMMITTEE ON CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
Mr Mark Speakman moved, That:
(1) Peter Bryan Sidgreaves be appointed to serve on the Committee on Children and Young People in place of Felicity Lesley Wilson, discharged.
(2) A message be sent informing the Legislative Council.
Question put and passed.
The Parliament of New South Wales acknowledges and respects the traditional lands of all Aboriginal people, and pays respects to all Elders past and present. We acknowledge the Gadigal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which the Parliament of New South Wales stands.