The Legislation Review Committee reviews each Bill introduced into Parliament and reports on its impact on personal rights and liberties.
The Committee must, under section 8A of the Legislation Review Act 1987, report to Parliament Bills that:
The Committee also reviews and reports on any regulation that impacts on personal rights and liberties, or adversely affects the business community.
A non-exhaustive list of the rights and liberties reviewed by the Legislation Review Committee is linked below.
COVID-19 related reports: The Committee has published the documents below as compilations of its reports dealing with COVID-19 bills and regulations in NSW. The reports have been tabled in the Houses of Parliament and published across a number of individual Legislation Digests. It is hoped the republication in this compilation format will be useful to members of parliament and the public to find and access the Committee's reports and comments in one place. These documents will be updated to include further bills and regulations as the Committee reports on them.
The documents are published in two parts: Volume I – Summary contains the committee's comment on each bill or regulation only. Volume II – Reports reproduces the Committee's full report on the bill or regulation.
Resolution passed 18 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Votes and Proceedings No.10, Item 13.
Legislative Assembly Votes and Proceedings No 10, Tuesday 18 June 2019, entry no. 13:
13 PARLIAMENTARY COMMITTEES
Mr Andrew Constance moved, by leave, That the following motions for the establishment of Parliamentary committees and the appointment of members be agreed to:
(6) Legislation Review Committee
(1) In accordance with section 5 of the Legislation Review Act 1987, the following members of the Legislative Assembly be appointed to serve on the Legislation Review Committee: Mr Lee Evans, Ms Wendy Lindsay, Mr David Mehan, Mrs Leslie Williams, and Mrs Felicity Wilson.
(2) The Committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other States and Territories of Australia.
(3) A message be sent acquainting the Legislative Council of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Council to appoint three of its members to serve on the Committee.
Resolution passed 19 June 2019, 57th Parliament, Minutes No. 10, Items 11 and 18.
Legislative Council Minutes No 10, Wednesday 19 June 2019, entries No 11 and 18:
11 JOINT COMMITTEES—MEMBERSHIP
Mr Harwin then moved:
(8) Legislation Review Committee
1. That under section 4 of the Legislation Review Act 1987, a joint committee known as the Legislation Review Committee be appointed.
2. That under section 5(1)(a) of the Act, Mr Trevor Khan and Mr Shaoquett Moselmane be appointed to serve on the committee as members of the Legislative Council.
3. That on the crossbench membership to be appointed to serve on the committee being determined, a message be forwarded to the Legislative Assembly
18 COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP—CROSSBENCH MEMBERS
The Deputy President informed the House that the Clerk had received from crossbench members the following nominations for membership of committees:
Legislation Review Committee Crossbench: Mr Shoebridge.
The Parliament of New South Wales acknowledges and respects the traditional lands of all Aboriginal people, and pays respects to all Elders past and present. We acknowledge the Gadigal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which the Parliament of New South Wales stands.