This committee was established by resolution of the Legislative Council on 21 September 2022, under section 21 of the Modern Slavery Act 2018.
Minutes, Legislative Council, 21 September 2022, pp 3645-3646
15. ESTABLISHMENT OF JOINT MODERN SLAVERY COMMITTEE (Formal Business)
Mr Tudehope moved, as formal business:
(1) That under section 21 of the Modern Slavery Act 2018, a joint committee known as the Modern Slavery Committee be appointed.
(2) That under section 23(1)(a) of the Act, the committee consist of four members of the Legislative Council comprising:
(a) two government members,
(b) one opposition member, and
(c) one crossbench member.
(3) That the committee have leave to make visits of inspection within the State of New South Wales and other states and territories of Australia.
(4) That a message be sent acquainting the Legislative Assembly of the resolution and requesting the Legislative Assembly to appoint four of its members to serve with the members of the Legislative Council on the committee.
Question put and passed.
The Parliament of New South Wales acknowledges and respects the traditional lands of all Aboriginal people, and pays respects to all Elders past and present. We acknowledge the Gadigal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which the Parliament of New South Wales stands.