That this House:
(1) Condemns the police crackdown on students, staff and activists on the campus of the University of Sydney.
(2) Notes the University of Sydney National Tertiary Education Union holds serious concerns about the heavy handed actions of NSW Police on campus.
(3) Notes the Vice Chancellor of the University of Sydney has written to the NSW Police expressing his concerns about the excessive police response.
(4) Confirms the right to engage in peaceful protest is an essential part of democracy.
(5) Urges the Minister for Health and Medical Research to work with the Chief Medical Officer to immediately implement a COVID-safe plan for peaceful protest and community action in New South Wales.
The Parliament of New South Wales acknowledges and respects the traditional lands of all Aboriginal people, and pays respects to all Elders past and present. We acknowledge the Gadigal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which the Parliament of New South Wales stands.