Take our survey
Give us your feedback on the Parliament of NSW website and resources
(1) How many people have been treated each year since March 1988 in the dental clinic of Westmead Hospital?
(2) What are the type of dental services which are now provided by the dental clinic at Westmead Hospital and those dental services provided each year since March 1988?
(3) (a) How many dentists have been employed from time to time since March 1988?
(b) How many are now employed in the dental clinic at Westmead Hospital?
(4) What funds have been allocated for dental services in each year since March 1988 in the dental clinic of Westmead Hospital?
(5) What are the guidelines to determine who are eligible to receive dental services at the dental clinic?
(6) In what manner is the private sector involved in fulfilling the aims and objectives of the dental scheme at Westmead Hospital?
(7) Are braces one of the services provided at the dental clinic?
(1) The number of people treated each year since March 1988 is:
New Patients Attendances
1 April 1988 to 31 March 1989 56,389 142,836
1 April 1989 to 31 March 1990 46,344 145,293
1 April 1990 to 31 March 1991 64,223 151,423
1 April 1991 to 31 March 1992 61,246 161,016
(2) The type of dental services provided currently are the same as those provided since March 1988, namely:
•a general and specialist dental service for patients eligible under State guidelines. For those requiring urgent attention, an emergency service is available daily. Some specialist services are also provided for ineligible chargeable patients referred by their medical or dental practitioner.
(3) (a) The number for dentists employed in March 1988 was 73 FTE (Full time equivalents). The numbers vary from time to time and are generally in the range of 72 to 80 FTE.
(b) The number of dentists employed in the Westmead Hospital Dental Clinic is currently 76 FTE.
(4) Funding for the Westmead Hospital Dental Clinical School has been allocated as follows:
(5) The guidelines for eligibility to receive comprehensive dental services are as determined by the Department of Health, namely:
The person seeking treatment is a current holder of one of the following cards issued by the Department of Social Security:
•Pensioner Health Benefit Card;
•Health Care Card;
•Health Benefit Card;
or is a child under the age of 16 years.
(6) The Pensioner Dental Scheme is funded by Westmead Hospital for private dental care of eligible patients. The current budget for these services is $692,000 per annum.