3602—PEACE PRIZE SCAM
Ms Katrina Hodgkinson to the Minister for Justice, Minister for Fair Trading, Minister Assisting the Minister for Commerce, and Minister Assisting the Premier on Citizenship—
(1) Has the Office of Fair Trading received any complaints about a letter which purports to be from JM Evans from the Office of the General-In-Residence, the United Cultural Convention (American Biographical Institute 5126 Bur Oak Circle PO Box 31226 Raleigh NC 27622 USA), which seeks to nominate people for the United Cultural Convention's International Peace Prize, which seeks to induce people to purchase a personalised engraved plaque for the amount of US$295 and which represents that the names of the recipients will be forwarded to the United Nations?
(2) Has the Office of Fair Trading investigated the matter?
(3) If so, on what dates and what specific action was taken by the Office of Fair Trading regarding this particular scam?
(4) If so, what were the results of the investigations?
I am advised that:
(1) The Office of Fair Trading has not received any complaints concerning United Cultural Convention's International Peace Prize.
Question asked on 1 March 2005 (session 53-1) and published in Questions & Answers Paper No. 119.
Answer received on 5 April 2005 and printed in Questions & Answers Paper No. 125.