Chapter 19 - Standing Order No 112 - Calling for divisions
Standing Order No. 112
Calling for divisions
(1) A question put by the Chair in the House or committee must be resolved by a majority of voices for the “ayes” or “noes”.
(2) When the Chair states that the “ayes” or the “noes” have it, members may challenge that opinion.
(3) A division may not be called for unless voices have been given both for the “ayes” and “noes”.
(4) A division may only be called for by two or more members who have given their voices against the majority as declared by the Chair.
(5) If only one member calls for a division, the member may ask for their vote to be recorded in the Minutes of Proceedings.
(6) At any time before the tellers are appointed a call for a division may be withdrawn by leave of the House. The division will not be proceeded with, and the decision of the Chair will stand.
« Index of Standing Orders